1. You can now buy finished microcontroller project from us, Check out the Store for the complete list of projects.
  2. Need a custom project, Send us some details about your project. So that we can quote the price for it.

RF based Automatic meter reading

Discussion in 'Doubts in My Projects' started by Binu, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Binu

Binu Administrator

RF based Automatic meter reading, or AMR, is the technology of automatically collecting data from energy meter and transferring that data to a central database for billing and/or analyzing. This means that billing can be based on actual consumption rather than on an estimate based on previous consumption, giving customers better control of their use of electric energy.
    The Transmitter is connected to the meter and it counts the pulses from it and displays it over the LED display. It also transmit the data over RF. The data’s are also stored in the EEPROM.
    At the receiver end the data is received by an receiver module and the microcontroller will display it over the LED display.
    Program: View attachment AUTO_METER.zip
  2. srinivasan.aditya

srinivasan.aditya New Member

hi sir..
    is it possible to also connect the max 232 to the receiver circuit to transfer data to the computer?and if it is possible how do i go about it?Thanks
  3. Binu

Binu Administrator

Yes you can connect it to the PC through serial port. Check the Visual basic tutorials for more details about the PC interfacing
  4. srinivasan.aditya

sir.. could you pls tell me on what basis is the counter incremented? i mean how is one unit of electricity consumed counted?
  5. Binu

Binu Administrator

Count the pulses from the meter and if it comes to 3200 then it is 1 unit and increment the unit value. This 3200 may be different for various meters. you have to check the meter for it.
  6. aditi_11986

aditi_11986 New Member

hello sir,
    kindly tell me which IC have you used for the transmitter and the receiver in the project "rf based automatic meter reading"
    kindly specify the IC number and the range on which it is working....
  7. Binu

Binu Administrator

Its no IC. Its transmitter and receiver modules.
    This is the transmitter
    [​IMG]
    This is the receiver
    [​IMG]
  8. srinivasan.aditya

sir..the mct2e has 6 pins.. could u tell me which pins are used to connect with the energy meter
  9. aditi_11986

aditi_11986 New Member

hello sir!!!
    could you plz tell me what are the components used in the energy meter and does the energy meter comes as an assembled kit.
    what is the cost of the energy meter and where can i purchase it from?
  10. Binu

Binu Administrator

Connect the 1 & 2 in series with the LED for pulse in the energymeter and connect pins 4&5 to the circuit. check the datasheet of MCT2E for more details.
    You can get it from all electrical shops. check the previous reply's for the picture of a energy meter.