1. You can now buy finished microcontroller project from us, Check out the Store for the complete list of projects.
  2. Need a custom project, Send us some details about your project. So that we can quote the price for it.

cash smart card and RFID based proximity system

Discussion in 'Project Doubts' started by kcyam, Sep 30, 2008.

1. kcyam

kcyam New Member

Hi Sir,

I've got a project and I really need your help.

For my project, I need to design and built(paper design with justification and qualification) a cash smart-card and RFID Based proximity system for use with campus applications.
    Could you guide me in the following??

RFID card

memory capacity, definition of database structure, smart chip selection, proximity frequency selection and the cash card authentication methodology.

Card reader

embedded system architecture - processor and processor speed selection, OS selection, interface requirement(network and UART connection etc.), I/O control and display(LED or LCD), hardware design, data encryption(decryption methodology, communication transaction,

card programmer - cash top-up, authentication methodology,

Software architecture - modular design, interconnection methodology between modules, network authentication method, security adminstration, authorisation and authentication.

Software flowchart, power management(portable and desktop, charging system),

Server

Database, record structure, reporting, card information and content management, security module

Sorry that I gave so much stuff. I really at a loss as to where to start. Any help/suggestions or guidance like what kind of chipsets and processors or OS is suitable is appreciated.
    Thanks!!
  2. Binu

Binu Administrator

Smart card and RFID are both similar but works on different technology.
    There is no need of using both on a system, either you select RFID or Smart card.
    RFID is wireless and Smartcard is done through direct contact with the system.
  3. kcyam

kcyam New Member

Hi there,

thanks for the prompt reply. Yes I need to do a contactless system based on RFID. Will you be able to guide me on it based on the above questions? Thanks alot....
  4. Binu

Binu Administrator

Do you want to use Read only RFID cards or Read/Write cards.
    Read only cards are easy to program and you can maintain a database on PC.
    R/W cards have its own EEPROM memory and they are costlier and need more programming.
  5. kcyam

kcyam New Member

Hi,

the system that i need is mainly for campus use, meaning library systems, cash top up, attendance logging and security access etc..hence I would need a read and write....to start off....any recommended chipset for the RFID card and processor for the reader? Also can I ask if Javacard technology can be an OS for the reader? Or is it a OS for the card?
  6. Binu

Binu Administrator

You can get RFID modules for R/W operations, they have serial port or USB interface. If you need to interface the module with microcontroller then buy a module with serial port interface.
  7. kcyam

kcyam New Member

My report consists of RFID Card, reader/writer and server.

For the RFID Card, I'm using cyrptoRF chip and for writer i using 8051 MCU from atmel...what OS should I use? as for server..any suggestion what is needed?
  8. Binu

Binu Administrator

Ok, first interface the RF chip with 8051 and do the read & write operation first.
    Then interface it with PC. You can use Visual Basic with Access database on PC side programming.
  9. abegirl

abegirl New Member

can i get the source code in visual basic 6.0 of the RFID attendance and security system??help me plz... it is for my robotics project in software engineering

ABEGIRL RAMOS
  10. Binu

Binu Administrator